Over the past year, our homes have become an integral part of our lives more than ever. They’re much more than the houses we live in. They’re our workplaces, virtual schools, and safe havens that provide shelter, stability, and protection through the evolving health crisis. Today, 65.8% of Americans are fortunate enough to call their homes their own.
As we continue to think about the future, our goals for the year, and what we want to achieve well beyond 2021, it’s a great time to look at the benefits of owning a home. Below are some highlights and quotes on the benefits of homeownership shared by the National Association of Realtors (NAR). From feel-good motivations to economic and social impacts on the local community, these items may give you reason to believe homeownership stretches well beyond your financial investment.
Owning a home brings a sense of happiness, satisfaction, and pride.
- Pride of Ownership: It feels good to have a place that’s truly your own, especially since you can customize it to your liking. “The personal satisfaction and sense of accomplishment achieved through homeownership can enhance psychological health, happiness and well-being for homeowners and those around them.”
- Civic Participation: Homeownership creates stability, a sense of community, and increases civic engagement. It’s a way to add to the strength of your local area and drive value into your neighborhood.
Buying a home is also an investment in your financial future.
- Net Worth: Homeownership builds your net worth. Today, the median household net worth of all homeowners is $254,900, while the median net worth of renters is only $6,270.
- Financial Security: Equity, appreciation, and more predictable monthly housing expenses are huge financial benefits of owning a home. Homeownership is truly the best way to improve your long-term financial position.
Homeownership is even a local economic driver.
- Housing-Related Spending: An economic force throughout our nation, housing-related expenses accounted for more than one-sixth of the country’s economic activity over the past three decades.
- Entrepreneurship: Homeownership is also a form of forced savings that can provide entrepreneurial opportunities. “Owning a home enables new entrepreneurs to obtain access to credit to start or expand a business and generate new jobs by using their home as collateral for small business loans.”
The benefits of homeownership go well beyond the basics. Homeownership is truly a way to build financial freedom, find greater satisfaction and happiness, and make a substantial impact in your community. If owning a home is part of your dream this year, let’s connect so you can begin the homebuying process today.
Starting Your Home Search Is Easy
Starting the home buying process is easy and involves a few simple steps: Download my Home Buyers Guide to learn general information. Search for homes currently on the market to get a feel for the types of homes, locations, and price points available. And of course, please call me, or send me an email / text, to discuss any thoughts about your next home, the buying process, and the most important next step. When in doubt, just call me and I will help you with each step of your journey.
Is Time To Sell Your Home?
Find out how much your home is worth and download my free guide for home sellers for helpful information. It is important to choose a REALTOR® who can develop an effective marketing strategy for your property, negotiate well on your behalf, and has the knowledge to provide an accurate market comparison so you can determine the right asking price. The market changes each week and your asking price is an important component of your selling strategy. I am here to listen and serve, let me know if you want to know how your home stacks up against the competition, or how we can position your property to sell quickly and for a good price, or if you have unique circumstances or goals. Contact me today to start a discussion…
My Denver real estate blog has loads of useful information for home buyers trying to figure out what they want to do…
Real Estate Housing Market | Buying a Home | Selling a Home | Financing a Home | Renting | Homeownership | Investing